Re: Competition co-ordination

Matthew Gream (mgream@nospam.acacia.itd.uts.edu.au)
Tue, 22 Mar 94 13:28:01 EST

Earlier, Ryan Shelswell wrote:

> BTW, this is *exactly* what we did last year. We did actually have entrants
> from elec-eng, as well, but they dropped out. Well, he did - it was Matthew
> Gream. I guess more time -> more advertising -> more entrants this year.

Advertising was one problem last year, not only lack of it, but I think
from recollection it was only one or two weeks before the event was to
take place, and then only by News. Notices in laboratories somewhere
up to, say, 2 months before hand would be a good idea. Maybe you could
even <shock horror> get it into Plexus, being a Union magazine and all
that.

The other problem was timing. I dropped out because not only was the
main event was in the week immediately preceeding the start of
examinations (typically a time where much end of semester work is due
and fervent attempts are being made to digest a semesters worth of
study :-) but it was also on the Thursday night, only several hours
before some of this work was due. Of course, I may have just been
unlucky, but my point is that on average it's not the best time for
the majority of people that may be interested.

Anyway, you recognised these problems at the time, I'm just rehashing
them for the benefit of this wider audience.

Matthew.

--
Matthew Gream
Consent Technologies  ; "You must slowly, slowly catch-ee monkey"