Re: Competition co-ordination

James Frank Torrent (jftorren@nospam.socs.uts.EDU.AU)
Tue, 22 Mar 1994 17:28:07 +1000 (EST)

On Tue, 22 Mar 1994, Chris Keane - Snr IS Sys Admin wrote:

> From: James Frank Torrent <jftorren@nospam.socs.uts.EDU.AU>

> Hey pal, if you think that the so-called
> "established students" were treated any differently when they
> were in first year from the way that you're treated now then
> you're dead wrong.

When did I ever say that?

No you dont sound bitter :)

Youre missing my point

> Just on the general principle of the thing, _everyone_ is treated
> like sewage until they themselves prove otherwise. It's up to
> you to earn some respect because peer respect is a valuable
> commodity in this industry.

please see my reply to Anand, the only first year to comment on prog comp
I'm 2nd year, 22 and ex elec-eng :)

> It might not be fair, true, but don't start thinking that anyone
> gives a shit or anything. I think people call it "University" or
> maybe even "real life".

I agree totally, I was addressing people saying first years cant do anything
I was merely saying that being that blatently ignorant of all possibilities
is a sign of stupidity and lack of understanding of reality in relative terms.

If you belive youre god, then you are.
If somebody else believes youre a bucket of shit then you are.
Both of you are right, both of these situations can be real at the same time.

reality depends on how secure AND open minded you can be, true understanding,
ie: arrgance not based on 1 point of view but all views is a thing that is all
too rare in progsoc.

> > Knowledge is not a foundation for arrogance, Understanding is.
> >
> I don't believe this is correct. Knowledge is usually a result of
> Understanding raw information. So, knowledge comes about because of
> understanding.

No I meant Knowing things doesn't mean you understand, we seem to be
disagreeing on a definition of knowlege, not arrogance, in either case
I'm supremely obnoxious :)
People who 'understand' are/can/SHOULD be arrogant, its their duty :)