Re: The state of ftoomsh

James Frank Torrent (jftorren@nospam.socs.uts.EDU.AU)
Thu, 14 Apr 1994 11:16:59 +1000 (EST)

On Wed, 13 Apr 1994, Anand Kumria wrote:

> On Wed, 13 Apr 1994, James Wondrasek wrote:
>
> I thought you guys had a SGI or Sun -- just what unix are you guys running??

Hmmmmm.....

It may be a good idea Anand, as you are a computer science student,
to develop some investigative skills.

You are currently working in an environment about which you obviously know &
understand nothing. I'm sure you can see the need to be familiar with one's
environment.

We *KNOW* that you are new (all the advertising & pr organisations on the
planet could not have exceeded your own efforts), nobody expects you
understand unix and the realms of socs, itd and internet, and
I don't think anybody here expects you to know as much as themselves from
day 1. (nobody is perfect and I certainly don't expect you to be)

BUT.....

You have chosen to lead a very public life and as such everybody hopes
[expects] you to make a clear, significant and well directed attempt
at figuring simple things out.

Reading is a common method for doing just that, (even other first years
partake in this activity).

I wont insult your perception of your own intelligence by telling you
where to find books, and TFM will get you started with email & news.

You cant continue to belive that learning by osmosis will work.
If this was true, the information already presented to you in plain text
(the stuff that people read) would have seeped into the denser portions
of your skull and you would know what machines we had.

I'm sure that once you start to read you will be very surprised
at how easy it is to answer your own questions.

James Torrent <jftorren@nospam.socs.uts.EDU.AU>
University of Technology, Sydney.
Knowledge is not a foundation for arrogance, Understanding is.