Re: Ftoomsh MUD?

Matthew Gream (mgream@nospam.acacia.itd.uts.edu.au)
Fri, 15 Apr 94 15:33:38 EST

Earlier, James Wondrasek wrote:

> If anyone has any ideas of what should be included in the usage policy to
> keep SoCS and Arpanet happy, let's here it. As we will be telling the
> users what we expect from them I think there should also be a section
> where we tell the users what they can expect from the sys admin's.

If you want to thwart potential liability problems, make sure you have
users physically sign an agreeance to the rules regarding "acceptable
use" of the machine. I'm no lawyer, so I can't say this will stand up
under the toughest circumstances, but it does alleviate the "I didn't
know" excuse and gives the user something to think about before he/she
decides to do "something". It also provides a nexus between the real
person and the account.

Obviously there are ways to tone it down, my methods might be a bit
overbearing and I can understand young rebellious students wanting to
dissent and rebel against such authoritarian control. The fact is you
can't trust anyone to fit into your "trustworthy" ideology in terms of
offering a free machine to the net (or thereabouts) and using it
responsibly.

Wow, hand me a fascist hat! ;-)

Matthew.

--