Re: Sys Admins Wanted

Scott Hopwood (shopwood@nospam.socs.uts.EDU.AU)
Wed, 4 May 1994 17:15:34 +1000 (EST)

On Wed, 4 May 1994 apwilson@nospam.socs.uts.EDU.AU wrote:

> I agree with Colin, ftoomsh is going to be used for a learning experience.
> If we start to get worried about what sys admins are going to be doing and
> logging every command then I think the learning experience will be lessened.

Yes, but logging is also a good way to see what went wrong. If everytime
somthing bad happen the solution is "thats ok, we'll just reinstall it", I
don't think there is much learning going on. If on the otherhad the
sequence of events can be studied, somthing may be learned.

This is assuming that logging is for repairing problems, not giving fault.
Once blaim is dished out, the log will be useless.

Scott Hopwood shopwood@nospam.socs.uts.edu.au

'A monkey throws,
A spinning bone,
A silent spaceship'