Re: Xresources

Dennis Clark ((no email))
Wed, 30 Nov 1994 18:41:11 +1100 (EST)

In previous mail, Francis Liu CV RDC writes:

> Folks,
>
> If I have two (2) xterms (or cmdtools), one titled bob and the other
> mary_poppins. How can I set the background and foreground colour for
> each without using -fg and -bg ? I figure I should be able to set it
> via some Xresource, but I can't figure out how to name individual
> instances of things.

Tried reading TFM? Page 102 to be exact (of the version I have at
least). If you don't have it handy, here's the example it gives:

% cat >> ~/.Xresources
cobol*font: -*-clean-medium-r-*-*-15-*-*-*-c-*-*-*
cobol*boldfont: -*-clean-bold-r-*-*-15-*-*-*-c-*-*-*
cobol*icon: sufferingMisery.bm
cobol*iconName: "Misery"
cobol*title: "Life is Misery"
^D
% xrdb -merge ~/.Xresources
% xterm -name cobol

Note that the resource names for the foreground and background colours
are "foreground" and "background" (funnily enough). Note also that the
personal resource file loaded up when you start X may be ~/.Xdefaults if
you are using the default OpenWindows setup.

Cheers,
DB

--
Dennis Clark                       |    Keep it simple:
(a.k.a. DeeBugger)                 |    as simple as possible,