Re: AGM/Executive places

Ryan Shelswell (ryan@nospam.socs.uts.edu.au)
Fri, 10 Mar 1995 14:44:45 +1000 (EST)

On Thu, 9 Mar 1995, Christopher Fraser wrote:

> > When will our membership be joining (en masse)? An AGM is perhaps
> > not appropriate until then.
>
> ProgSoc members join throughout the year, with and influx a couple
> of weeks into each semester. It's a fairly established tradition
> that the previous year's continuing members pretty much elect and
> form the executive at the AGM. In practice I don't think this is really
> a problem.

Most 1st years will join in the next few weeks. Most of the new
members *won't* have joined when we have the AGM.

While I agree it's not new for this problem to arise, I wouldn't
expect anyone to argue that it's good. Obviously, it's difficult
to give 1st years a feeling of inclusion in ProgSoc when the elections
were held without them. It also makes it fairly pointless to be
talking about "1st year representatives".

It's probably too late to change it now: however, with better planning,
this could be avoided next year.

Ryan