Re: Packet blocking between ftoomsh and outside UTS.

Andrew Wilson (apw@nospam.socs.uts.edu.au)
Fri, 19 May 1995 12:15:34 +1000 (EST)

On Fri, 19 May 1995, Cameron Hutchison wrote:

> So would the exec please tell us just what is going on, or is it some
> big secret and people are getting a power kick over being the only ones
> "in the know"? All I know from this list is that some people have done
> some bad things on ftoomsh and everybody with power over us at UTS is
> threatening to shut us down. What bad things were done? How much? Just
> once, twice, many times?

There have been "a number more than 4" breaches that I am aware of now. The
problem is, the Progsoc Executive were not informed of all of these
breaches.

> As I dont know the answer to these questions, I'll take a guess. Some
> people have been harassing other users of the net and using ftoomsh
> as a launching pad to break into other systems on the net. This has
> been going on for some time now and has finially come to the attention
> of those with power over us. Is this a fair assessment?

a bit. Each breach was brought to the attention of "those who have power
over us", unfortunately, not every breach was brought to the attention
of the Exec.

> I'll assume it is and continue. At this point in time I can see that

you know what happens when you assume things ....

> there may have been no other option than to castrate ftoomsh. The problem
> is that it should have never got to this point. The exec fucked up by
> letting it get so bad that there was no other option but to castrate
> ftoomsh. Now they whine that its not their fault, they had no control.
> Well the bottom line is, you, the progsoc exec, _did_ have control
> and it _is_ your fault. You have let the members down by denying them
> access to facilities that some worked bloody hard to get in the first
> place.

The person(s) responsible for the breaches are the person(s) who have
let the progsoc members down.

> Is this the executive? (I dont know, minutes from the AGM havent been posted
> to the list yet) What a wonderful bunch of people. I'm so glad they represent
> me.

no. 1 out of 3.

> There are quite a few questions in this post. I would appreciate it if
> somebody "in the know" would fill us in on the situation, rather than
> just telling us that we have lost net access and whining about how there
> was nothing they could do about it.

well we have been told that another breach like that which had occurred
(in short - an unidentified ftoomsh user "flash" bomb the university of
qld, they complained to ITD and to AUSCERT, and it went all the way up
to the VC) will render ftoomsh "netless" permanently.

We have tried to restict access to ftoomsh until we have a rigid usage
policy that ITD approve of, since another breach will mean its off the
net forever.

You will know more, when we know more.

> Cameron "not bloody impressed" Hutchison

Andrew "sick of all this bickering" Wilson

Andrew Wilson - Trainee Programmer ph: +61 2 330 1841 apw@nospam.socs.uts.edu.au

"It will be happened; it shall be going to be happening; it will be was
an event that could will have been taken place in the future" - Grant Naylor