Re: Getting into Xwindows programming???

Roland John Turner (rjturner@nospam.socs.uts.edu.au)
Tue, 29 Aug 1995 11:23:48 +1000 (EST)

James Richard Webster wrote:

> Howdy all,
>
> After doing a fair bit of Windoze programming with Visual Basic
> and Delphi, i have considered doing a bit of work in Xwindows at uni. I
> have been able to acquire the freeware 'Xforms' package, a gui builder
> and set of C libraries. However, I have reached a fundamental problem
> with the gui builder (fdesign). When I run it, I encounter the message...
>
> ld.so: libX11.so.4: not found
>
> I am presuming this message is complaining about not being able to find
> certain Xwindows libraries on the SoCS systems. What I want to know, is
> there anything that can be done about this??? (If you haven't already
> guessed, I am pretty much a newbie as far as development on UNIX is
> concerned :). If nothing can be done, are there similar freeware
> packages that DO work on the SoCS machines??? (BTW in case your
> wondering, the Xforms distribution does not contain the source for fdesign)\

X is freeware (I think...). libX11.so.* is kind of critical to getting
anything to work. You'll need to play with your LD_LIBRARY_PATH or similar
to include /usr/X11/lib or wherever it's stored so that your app can find
it at runtime.

- Raz