re: getting a job

Iain Sinclair (axolotl@nospam.socs.uts.edu.au)
Wed, 13 Sep 1995 00:13:50 +1000 (EST)

>On Mon, 11 Sep 1995 pmeric@nospam.vnet.IBM.COM wrote:
>
>> This is, of course, irrelevant once the person has a job, as the
>> degree they gained fades into irrelevance (although never completely...)
>
>Like many things, jobs can be seen as form and content: unless your
>interviewer is very good, they'll depend heavily on form (i.e. resume
>stuff, appearance of competence) to determine your success in getting the
>job. Success in *doing* the job is another thing entirely.

I'm not sure I understand this. In any case, it is wrong to suggest
that employers are fooled by bits of paper and cannot see their way
past bullshit artists. True, large educational institutions or
multinationals can afford to lose millions of dollars on sub-standard
employees. But for anybody else, hiring new people is a long-term
investment, which employers treat like any other long-term investment -
seriously.

The basic process of getting a job is pretty simple - you have to
convince your prospective employer that you can do what is required
of you. If you are unable to communicate the extent of your capabilities,
you will be at a disadvantage. If, OTOH, you have no actual ability
or intelligence, you have to try to con your way in. This may work
in extreme cases, but if you intend working for anyone who knows what
they are doing, this is not an option.

There are other minor factors. For example, some employers would
prefer to hire someone that was soundly recommended to them, or whose
reputation precedes them, or who came from a circle of friends. This
"who you know" factor is important, especially in Sydney, where it
is important not to introduce unknowns into one's cosy social circle;
who knows what self-reinforcing delusions they might shatter.

For example, I once encountered a person who ran a business in Crows
Nest (via Usenet, not a job application). He openly refused to hire
graduates from UTS, preferring only those from his alma mater, Sydney
University. According to him, UTS did not offer a sound background
in computing; but strangely, he didn't say in what way Sydney Uni's
curriculum was an improvement. Maybe I should track him down some day
and find out. Unfortunately, I believe his business went broke, and he
no longer has a net connection.

--
 Iain Sinclair    c/- axolotl@nospam.socs.uts.edu.au