Re: eight queens

daedalus (daedalus@nospam.ftoomsh.progsoc.uts.edu.au)
Wed, 11 Oct 1995 10:50:37 +1000 (EST)

On Tue, 10 Oct 1995, Jerry Lee wrote:

> Help please,
>
> Hello everyone,
>
> I was wondering if anyone could offer assitance in writting a
> program that finds all possible combinations of eight queens on an 8 x 8
> chess board so that none of them can attack the other.
>
> Please o' Please someone help me with this one...

This was the problem which was solved by the winning entry in the
obfuscated C coding competition a year or two ago. I have a copy of the
code somewhere, so I'll try to find it. It is rather elegant code, and
since all the formatting (indents etc.) were taken out for the comp, it
is only about 4 or 5 lines long. :)
Someone else may have the code a little closer to hand, but i'll
have a look around for it and post it here when i find it.

daedalus
1+1 = 3
(for sufficiently large values of 1)
daedalus@nospam.ftoomsh.progsoc.uts.edu.au