Re: eight queens

pmeric@nospam.vnet.IBM.COM
Tue, 10 Oct 95 23:42:44 EDT

*** Reply to note of 10/11/95 13:32
From: Peter Meric +61-2-353-3889 DP13
Project Assistant - IT Consulting
ISSC Australia
Subject: Re: eight queens

My original "code" actually places all eight pieces on the board
simultaneously, regardless of the validity of their placement. Thus,
Daniel's first comment only applies to his recursive suggestion. Based
on a few easy rules (ie. no two pieces in same column, row or diagonals),
you could write it so that the pieces in adjacent columns and rows are
at least an "chess knight's move" away from you), one could cut down on
the computations that need to be made.

So, did I hear Daniel volunteering to hack something up in Lisp and post
it to the mailing list? :-)

But we were only after a quick hack, weren't we? :-)

Peter
ISSCAUS(PMERIC) pmeric@nospam.vnet.ibm.com