Re: cause for concern... Good Weekend letter

pmeric@nospam.vnet.IBM.COM
Mon, 18 Dec 95 17:28:33 EST

*** Reply to note of 12/18/95 18:22
From: Peter Meric +61-2-353-3889 DP13
Project Assistant - IT Consulting
ISSC Australia
Subject: Re: cause for concern... Good Weekend letter

I didn't see Ryan's post as being a personal attack on "daedalus"... I
guess he saw it differently...

Anyway, I think Ryan has a good point here - there are many people who
have a scant knowledge of the Internet making out as if they are gurus
or near. It's amazing that vast numbers of people became experts
overnight - just because there are that many newcomers to the Internet.

Training seminars, Internet marketing, crap about pornography etc etc.
It's sickening. I think the MSN concept is good - the general public
SHOULD use something designed for them... Note that I said "the MSN
***CONCEPT***

Get these people off the Internet - MSN will be driven by a nice
interface, built into all of MS's products, free of pornography and other
nasty things that make people go blind :-), use Clipper Mk 2 crypto,
and 5 billion other things we don't want to happen to the Internet.

With the number of people on the Internet, their concerns may push the
Internet in a direction we don't want - all because they're not the
people it was designed for (and used by for the past couple of decades).

Can you imagine these people on FidoNet or BitNet??? What about using
UUCP? No, of course not... you needed to know about commands more
complex than "win". And yes, that *IS* a complicated command to know.
A vast number of users don't even know how to start Windows - it just
sits at the bottom of their autoexec.bat! Makes you wonder why they
bothered to load mouse.com!!

Of well, enough of this for the moment...

Peter
ISSCAUS(PMERIC) pmeric@nospam.vnet.ibm.com
IBMMAIL(AUIBMDUP)