Re: Suns (was: cause for concern... Good Weekend letter)

Jas (matt@nospam.lordmuck.itd.uts.edu.au)
Thu, 28 Dec 1995 23:56:02 +1100 (EST)

Anand Kumria wrote this...

> On Wed, 20 Dec 1995, Darren Orr wrote:

>> While I admit I tend to find this something of the case for more Mac
>> users than PC users, I have trouble seeing most unix based computers (a
>> large portion of the internet) as being used more frequently as
>> recreation machines than Macs; witness the popularity of the Macintosh as
>> a home computer against that of Sun workstations :)

> I for one would certainly choose a Sun over a Mac (or any other machine,
> except perhaps an DEC Alpha). Bring on xtetris!

maybe you should check the UltraSPARC chips out.. they are much much
better than Alphas (check their caching methods). also check Sun's new
memory/address bus technology for workstation machines (it is adapted
from supercomputers). these enhancements mean they will blow an Alpha
out of the water _any_ day. Alphas are a poorly designed chip that was
rushed out, the they just cranked the clock speed up. you get a cache
miss on a Alpha and you are looking at serious performance loss, and
unnecessary cache flushing due to poor cache design also slows the OS
down alot. and OSF claims to be fully 64 bit and it aint (Solaris
doesnt claim that, it only claims 64 bit fs support).

Current shipping Sun technology whips DEC's ass... in performance
anyway..

Matt

--
#!/bin/sh
echo '16i[q]sa[ln0=aln100%Pln100/snlbx]sbA0D3F204445524F42snlbxq'|dc;exit

It's nice to be in a position where people apologize because they assume there's humor in your work, based on past experience, but they're not sure where it is. -- Rob Pike