Re: c++ and c

Scott Hopwood (shopwood@nospam.staff.cs.su.oz.au)
Wed, 6 Mar 1996 12:30:18 +1100 (EST)

On Wed, 6 Mar 1996, Joshua Graham Pitcher wrote:

> G'Day!
>
> I was told by someone once that c++ is a superset of c, and c++ compilers
> actually compile (or translate or whatever you want to call it) the c++ code
> into c before compiling into object code.
>
> Is this true? I am currently working with embedded systems, and for the
> devices we are using (TI DSPs, IDT MIPS) only c compilers are available. If
> it is true, would it be feasable to write code in c++, compile it into c code
> using any sort of compiler (turbo c++ or a unix c++) and then compile this
> code using the embedded system tools?

Not really any more. Most C++ compilers (that I know of) are native. You
might be able to pick up a *very* old version of g++ which used the
translate approach.

Scott Hopwood 'When all else fails, consult an oracle.
(02) 351-6098 Usually, the best place to track down one
shopwood@nospam.staff.cs.su.oz.au is in the bottom of a glass of red.'
shopwood@nospam.socs.uts.edu.au