Re: TFM : troubled times. (fwd)

ProgSoc Publications Officer (piers@nospam.socs.uts.edu.au)
Thu, 7 Mar 1996 12:56:29 +1100 (EST)

On Wed, 6 Mar 1996, Alister Air wrote:

> I think one problem was that TFM has actually been set as recommended
> reading by a lecturer taking GradDip students. This itself I think is
> kinda inappropriate... not necessarily because of its content, but rather
> because it struck me as a lecturer trying to get out of researching
> things properly. But that's me, and that was my first thought. How
> would you feel if you were taking a BA (Communications) and Vertigo or
> the SA Postgrad handbook was required reading?

She is, in fact, one of these students. She has also complained about the
staff of the interface room for not telling her how to set up her Mac at
home.

> Um, do we? As a membership, I mean? I don't wish to belabour the point,
> but "no-one but a moron could complain" (possibly paraphrased - sorry)
> does not seem to show a wish to hear complaints. Having said that,
> however, I do feel that the membership (and those few *really active*
> people) do think on complaints, and don't just brush them off.

If it of any use, I have edited the section in question.

TFM *does* say that comments and complaints may be sent to me, or
to the writers of each chapter... I think the fact that she didn't see us
before running off to complain to everyone else is the real problem I
have with the situation. Had she known the writer of the Hefner reference
was gay, would she still have complained? We may never know.

Have we a final list of people I should mail the offending sections to?
I understand I need not email the ombudsman, the SA should be enough. Who
else was there? I understand Alister can cover the SA for us. I'll send
it direct to him.

Courage may be born of champagne, but rarely prudence. - P.G.Wodehouse
Piers