Re: seen recently at ACS/ITD

Groovy Francis (fxl@nospam.pulse.itd.uts.edu.au)
Fri, 19 Apr 1996 18:04:24 +1000 (EST)

On Fri, 19 Apr 1996, daedalus wrote:

> They may have a code of ethics or something, but where is it? I
> haven't as yet checked to see if it is available as a web document or is
> floating around the uni somewhere. I personally believe that if they wish
> to take the current attitude to accounts on acs machines, users rights and
> responsibilities should be documented and readily available (a readme
> somewhere on the system perhaps?) as should acs's rights and
> responsibilities.
> The motd gives a basic idea of what they don't allow, but it is
> very open to interpretation. Something a little more concrete, and a bit
> better written would be better.

The list is in the By-laws. The By-laws are going on the Web sometime
soon, (comment Matt?). I wouls suspect that the list would be open
to interpertation as well.

> acs machines are exactly that, acs machines. They can administer
> them as they see fit, but they must still adhere to general laws and
> university laws, guidelines, whatever. It would be worthwhile researching
> these things to see whether or not acs actually comply to these things. If
> so, then they have every right to continue doing what they are doing. If
> not (which is what I suspect), then they have no right to be acting as
> they are, and action should definately be taken.

When this issue was first brought to light, the first thing I reached
for was, ..., the University Calendar - more specifically the section
titled By-laws. I found :

"Any member of staff having responsibility for the operation
or maintenance of any facility of the University may exclude
from the facility, or from the use of the facility, any student
whom he or she suspects of having committed a breach of
discipline in, or in relation to, the facility."
-- UTS By-law 1990, Chapter 8, Division 2, Clause 84(3)

And on Breach of Discipline :
"A student is to be regarded as having committed a breach of
discipline if the student:
(a) contravenes any provisions of the Act, this By-law or
a rule; or
(b) wilfully disobeys or disregards any order or direction
lawfully made or given under the Act, this By-law or a rule;
or;
(c) is guilty of any disgraceful or improper conduct.

-- UTS By-law 1990, Chapter 8, Division 2, Clause 83

As you can see the wording is imprecise. Clause 83 also points
you at the the Rules made by University Council and the Vice-
Chancellor.

Francis

--
Francis.Liu@nospam.uts.edu.au                        Talk: +61 2 330 2091
Systems Programmer                            Fax : +61 2 330 1999