Re: /var and mail inboxes

Peter Meric (pmeric@nospam.socs.uts.edu.au)
Wed, 24 Jul 1996 08:54:46 +1000 (EST)

On Wed, 24 Jul 1996, Christian Kent wrote:

> > > How large is large?

Not knowing the admins' actual requirements, I'd say that you should keep
it under 500K. Under 300K should be easy enough to achieve.

> I use telnet and pine;
> That is what I'm doing already. I've got a couple of months' mail packed
> up this way.

If you use your mail reader to save your mail to other folders, that mail
is deleted from your inbox. The other folders reside under your home
directory, so it is no longer taking up space in /var.

Peter

Peter Meric pmeric@nospam.socs.uts.edu.au
pmeric@nospam.progsoc.uts.edu.au
pmeric@nospam.acs.itd.uts.edu.au

"Stupidity cannot be cured with money, or through education, or by
legislation. Stupidity is not a sin, the victim can't help being
stupid. But stupidity is the only universal capital crime; the sentence
is death, there is no appeal, and execution is carried out
automatically and without pity."

Robert Heinlein