Re: [ProgSoc] Copying complete filesystems

Andrew Kingsmill wrote:
Hi,

Silly question - what is the most accurate way to make an exact copy of a
filesystem on a new filesystem, not necessarily the same size (i.e.
probably larger)? I have considered tar and rsync but both don't seem to
preserve file attributes exactly :(

The application is that I am installing new disks on a FreeBSD server to
replace some old disks that are due to die, and would love to be able to
take exact copies of all the filesystems (/, /var, /usr) to the new disks
to avoid reinstalling BSD and minimise downtime, etc.

The new disks are also larger and so I would like to configure the new
filesystems all to be larger.

Are there any other pitfalls I should be aware of, or is there a better
way? I've had a look at dump and am not sure if it will do what I want,
I've never used it before so am a little nervous.

Dump is one possibility, I've recently used the 'pax' utility to do this with successful results. You probably want to read the section of the handbook dedicated to exactly this topic...

http://www.freebsd.org/doc/en_US.ISO8859-1/books/handbook/backup-basics.html

Hope this helps :-)
Antony