Re: [ProgSoc] Copying complete filesystems

On Fri, Aug 20, 2004 at 11:22:46PM +1000, Andrew Kingsmill wrote:
> Hi,
>
> Silly question - what is the most accurate way to make an exact copy of a
> filesystem on a new filesystem, not necessarily the same size (i.e.
> probably larger)? I have considered tar and rsync but both don't seem to
> preserve file attributes exactly :(

Huh? They should do; I use something like this (when local)

# (cd /; tar clf - . ) | ( cd /mnt; tar xvf - . )

Which copies / to /mnt (where the new disk is).

Anand

--
 `` All actions take place in time by the interweaving of the
 forces of Nature; but the man lost in selfish delusion thinks