Re: [ProgSoc] Voting systems

On Thu, 21 Oct 2004, David Edney wrote:

On Thu, 21 Oct 2004 02:14 pm, Christian Kent wrote:
I was arguing how "Approval Voting" was better than our "Preferential
Voting" system, and this is argued here:

http://www.approvalvoting.org/irv.html

Ummm... could someone please tell me how approval voting, a system which is second only to first-past-the-post in the level of tactical voting it requires, could possibly beat IRV, which is completely resistant to tactical voting? (yeah, I know about the monotonicity problems, but that's a special case, approval is broken from the outset)

If you're going to be arguing something is better than IRV, you could at least
argue for condorcet voting, then you'd be plausible.

Can you explain condorcet? (Like someone who understands it, I mean). It's really trippy.

CK.