Re: [ProgSoc] Beer cell

On 03/11/2004, at 15:36, John Elliot wrote:

Christian Kent wrote:
Also, there seems to be a serious improvement when agitating the cell,

I didn't explicitly mention it in my last mail, but obviously machines vibrate. Just find the oldest clunkiest hottest one, make sure the cells are well secured (no leaks!) and then get the benefits of heat and vibration that were otherwise just going to waste..

We don't have any clunky old machines... not even some very hot ones. Heck, the loudest thing at the moment is medusa's PSU fan.

In the past year ProgSoc has had this turnover of machines:

Machines 'born':
trogdor		4x Ultrasparc II 400mhz, 1gb RAM, 160gb disk
succubus		500mhz Ultrasparc IIe, 384mb RAM, 20gb disk, smartcard reader
incubus		500mhz Ultrasparc IIe, 384mb RAM, 20gb disk, smartcard reader
baalzebub	400mhz G3 iMac, 288mb RAM, 10gb disk

Expected any day now:
eidolon Dual Opteron 1.8ghz, 1gig PC2700 ECC RAM, Raid0 200gb disk, plus nice stuff

Machines 'deceased':
anubis 2x 50mhx *sparc's, 512mb RAM, 30something gigs in a raid array that generated 2000w+ heat (died of nat. causes)
atomix Pentium Pro 200mhz, 32mb RAM, ?? disk. (PSU & mobo died)
demogorgon 486. need i say more?
phobos this was "myles'd" it was an OC'ed Celeron-A 333 running at 375mhz, with 80mb RAM, 8gb disk.
ftoomsh 50mhz something sparc box, with 128mb RAM
yeenoghu 200mhz G2 604r Power Mac with 128mb RAM and 2gb disk.

Dying any day now:
sutekh Cyrix 333, 128mb RAM, some kinda disk... dying of natural causes (age)

So yeah, computing power is steadily going up in ProgSoc land.
We've also upgraded the interior lighting from fluro's to halogens.

geryon and dispater (dispater now has 224mb RAM, down from 352 due to a reallocation to baalzebub) are the only 'original' user machines still operating since last year, whilst core network machines of medusa the router and orgo the auth/nfs server are still working away as far as I know.

Andi.