Re: [ProgSoc] Whitelisting

On Mon, 3 Jan 2005 06:15 pm, Christian Kent wrote:
> OK well greylisting must be a phenomenal success.  I've had no flagged
> spam since the end of August, so 100% must be being caught.
>
> Of course I'd rather be sure, by seeing the =occasional= spam (never
> thought I'd say that).  It's the overagressive suspicions I'm having that
> lead me to say this.

Well, if it's any consolation, I received a spam in my spam folder on
23/12/04, arriving via succubus (the primary mail server, so 95% or so of our
mail is being filtered under its configuration), and tagged as spam by
spamassassin with 6.7 points.

> And this isn't including the short period we had several weeks ago where
> the Bayesian filter had to be reset when we changed servers.

Actually, the problem then was that basically nothing was being tagged as
spam.  Somehow a bit too much spam was classified as ham by the auto-learner
meaning that spamassassin added a huge "non-spam" score pretty much all mail,
including spam.  Since then I've deactivated bayesian filtering entirely, so
we're just filtering on the traditional spamassassin rules.

Also, I probably should point out we now have clamAV running on the mail
servers, meaning virus mail should also be blocked, which may possibly
explain the further reduction.
--
David Edney
Computer Systems Officer