Re: [ProgSoc] Delete a folder

On Fri, 4 Feb 2005 10:56 am, you wrote:
> Blame Succubus. Or even better...blame dedney.
>
> *grin*

Just a second, I'll find out what's wrong.
bash-2.05b$ fortune bofh-excuses
BOFH Excuse #160:
non-redundant fan failure

Okay, I've checked it out, and apparently succubus' clock is running behind
because of a non-redundant fan failure.  You see, there's lots of
non-redundant fans in a computer which keep the air flowing at an exact speed
inside the case, and it's that airflow that powers the clock in the computer.
So when a non-redundant fan fails, the airflow slows and so does the clock,
however you can fix this by adjusting your other fans.  The best way to do
this is to remove the case on your computer and adjust the main power supply
fan (it works best at keeping time).  Simply get a paper clip, a pair of
scissors, or some other thin metal object and stick it into the little grille
holes on your power supply while the computer is running (so you can see if
the fan speed changes), then wiggle it around until the fan speeds up, you
might have to do it a while, but you'll definitely know when you hit the
right point.  :)

Seriously though, I'm not sure how the clock is so incredibly out of sync,
something weird must have happened, but I've already done an ntpdate sync to
fix the problem for now, and I'll make sure ntp is always running on all the
machines to prevent this arising in the future, since it would appear ntpdate
only, not ntpd, was installed on succubus from my quick glance.
--
David Edney
Computer Systems Officer