Re: [ProgSoc] Digital still cameras

> I haven't bought one before, but I know that buying a bad one can be
> very frustrating.  What features really matter?  Can anyone recommend
> theirs?

It really depends what you are after ??? If you just want a point and
shoot, which will be small and you can take anywhere or if you are
looking to get into some serious photography with a Digital SLR ???

I have a Pentax Optio S5i which is a 5 megapixel, 3x optical zoom, P&S.
I love how you can just chuck in your bag and it is always with you. The
LCD display is really nice and images come out quite sharp. It cost me
ruffly $550 around 3 months, and with a 512mb SD card thrown in for an
extra $80 I was set.

I also purchased a Nikon D70 2 months ago, but if you are looking to
stay under the $1000 mark you aren't going to be able to pick up a
decent Digital SLR for that price. But once you start looking at Digital
SLRs you start paying more attention to lenses rather than the Body.
However the Canon 300D SLR has come down in price (ruffly $1300 - with a
18-55mm lens, due to the release of the 350D).

I think it really comes down to what type photos you are wanting to
take, how serious you are about photography and whether you want
something you can just throw in your bag and take anywhere, or a larger
bulky camera, that may take slightly nicer photos, but you have to ask
yourself will you be more reluctant to take it with you because of it's
larger size ???

One other drawback of digital SLRs is that you can't record Video. (Well
you can take 4 frames a second but there is No Audio). With the P&S you
can take still photos, and record MPEGs. And the length of the Mpeg is
only limited by the storage capacity of your Flash Card. For example I
can record 40 Minutes of Mpeg video on my Pentax with a 512mb SD card.

Just something to think about :-)

cheers,
Dan