Re: [ProgSoc] Calling all savants

On Wed March 16 2005 02:41 pm, Christian Kent wrote:
 ] Huh?  Where are you going with this argument?  You were the one saying a
 ] few minutes ago that they looked good because they were HDTV encoded.  If
 ] they're not 1280x720, they're not HD ... and how on earth is a 1280x720
 ] window not "visible" or "significant"?

 I'll drop Visible, thanks Eddie, and stick with Significant.

 It's a huge increase in file size, and on my rinky dinky 80cm
 German built (but circa 199x) TV that does 520 lines on a good
 day ... I'd anticipate the difference would be .. err .. negligible.

 Especially as the video is coming out of an equally rinky dinky
 (but not nineteen-ninety-something German-manufactured)
 TV-Out card in the PC.

 As to what is and what isn't HDTV .. I thought they'd dumbed
 down the definition in order to meet  the marketing requirements?
 Much like 'unlimited' in the context of downloads in the broadband
 market in Australia now means anything from 8GB up.

 Ahh, here's the quotes I was looking for :
    "In support of this position, it should be noted that, for example,
    none of the US pay TV services in operation by end 2004 were
    offering anything more than 720p or 1080i, the minimum
    resolution required to be called HD.  So arguably, the consumer
    is already being given something less than ‘true’ HD, but is still
    buying into it"

 And just for fun :
    "However, of the 500+ digital TV sets listed by the CEA as being
     on the market in Winter 2004, only two can display the true 1080p
     HD resolution, retailing at $8,999 and $20,999 respectively,
     with another 16 offering ‘virtual 1080p’."

 From an excellent, albeit huge article that I read on The Reg
 (of course) earlier this month, on the subject of HD and the
 'future of viewing'.  Touches on broadcast as well as archival and
 blu-ray / capacity issues .. yada yada.  As you'd expect the big
 concerns are marketing rather than technical.  And really, if you'd
 live with NTSC all your life, you'd be pretty chuffed to just get
 PAL quality, let alone HDTV.

 http://www.theregister.co.uk/2005/03/08/hd_and_hdtv_analysis/

 Jedd.