Re: [ProgSoc] Digital still cameras

>I haven't bought one before, but I know that buying a bad one can be very
>frustrating.  What features really matter?  Can anyone recommend theirs?

I've got a Kodak at present which is ok. But I've also been looking at
replacing it.

If you're you're only willing to spend up to $800 you're not after a DSLR.
Keeping that in mind here's what I'm looking for.
At least 5mp resolution
At least 3x optical zoom (digital zoom is a crock)
Small as you can make it. (you want it to fit easily in your pocket so you
can take it any/everywhere)

Other things to look for.

Something which can take Alkaline AA batteries. If you're trapsing around
the jungles of Vietnam and your battery runs out you might find someone
who'll sell you some AA's but finding somewhere and waiting for the
recargeable to charge would be a pain in the ass.

A viewfinder to look through. There's a few cameras comming out without
these which means you have to use the LCD on the back to frame your
picture. If you're trying to concerve batteries the LCD is what chews most
of it up, on cameras with a viewfinder you can turn off the LCD and get
longer battery life.

Movies... Meh. If you want. Personally I've used the video capture feature
on my phone more than on the digital camera.

I've been looking at the Pentax Optio S5i, and Optio SV, Fuji Finepix
F-450, and  Canon IXUS's. The Sony's are pretty good (one of the guys at
work has one) but have to use the stupid sony memory stick.

Let me know how you go.