Re: [ProgSoc] Rio Karma (DAP) experiences?

On Sun, 5 Jun 2005, jedd wrote:
From memory I think the big problem with this device
was the lack of ability to drag-n-drop stuff into it without
some proprietary software on the host.  There was a GNU/Linux
capable client, but it was pretty ugly (some java app ?)

Yeah, it doesn't act like a mass-storage class USB device because the file system is proprietary. Making it a FAT32 based filesystem is apparently planned, but as far as I've heard it causes issues with power usage. The Java app you speak of is https://rmml.dev.java.net. I'd rather use it than iTunes.

If it's discontinued, where are you getting it from, how much is
it costing, and how much life is left in the battery?

I'd be getting it from eBay (new), which will cost about 200AUD + 50ish in shipping. I strike a hard bargain though so that would probably be reduced so I'll end up paying about $220 all up. That comes with everything you'll need (no need to fork out for necessary accessories), and gives you 16 hours battery life. If I did a little more searching on the Hydrogen Audio forums I'd probably be able to find out how long the battery lasts playing Ogg.

I feel pretty confident that it's the best player out there, even though it's been out for 2 years. The guys on DAPReview look at every player out there, and even after reviewing players released in the last 2 years, they're still fond of the Karma and reckon it's the best player for audiophiles.

I guess if I work up the balls to buy something, I'll let you know how it goes :D.

Nathan.