Re: [ProgSoc] Better than an iPod shuffle?

>  Yes, but the iPod fails on several fundamental levels - it fails with
>  oggs,

ogg is a P.O.S Not enough people use it, it's not being used by anyone
in any meaningful way, its just used by people like you to complain
for no good reason. It's like complaining that Starbucks won't give
you a skim decaf soy micro-sized no sugar artificially sweetened non
dairy white chocolate mocha without the sprinkles on top. Hrm, well
actually, they probably *would* -but my point is get over the failed
format that is Ogg. The future is AAC.

 it fails with replacement battery (real-time, not after just
>  after 12 months when it *completely* fails), and it fails with
>  gapless playback of songs.  For a player that promotes itself as
>  a high-end <sic> music device, the inability to put two songs
>  together without a gap is simply unacceptable.

Yes, but I don't use MP3, I use AAC and with the appropriate dodgy
hack inserted <here> i don't have such a problem listening to music
(i.e. no delay).
Also, if you had bothered to read my email, you would have realised I
was talking about the delay in accessing song information. i.e. Track
Name, Artist, Album, etc, because the player has to access each file
individually rather than say parse an XML file with all the pertinent
data. Big difference there.

>  ] As for operational transparency, if your music program is any good it
>
>  amarok is best of breed, if the weenies on the net are to be
>  believed -- but that's hardly the point, since I'd want to use the
>  mechanism on the portable player, not the 'music program' on
>  my computer.
>
>  ] I couldn't care what people prefer to do, I just got annoyed that
>  ] people assume that the difference is there to make life difficult for
>  ] them, when in fact it's to get rid of irritating delay.
>
>  Delay?!  Don't talk to me about delay ..
>
>  http://www.pretentiousname.com/mp3players/

You make the assumption that I'm so old fashioned and stupid to use
something as retarded as LAME MP3. How very 10 years ago. I like
playing my music through my stereo (digital connection via Airport
Express/ TOSlink), so I encode at 320kbps in mpeg4-aac, which by the
way has a future in the HD-DVD format arena. I don't seem to recall
Ogg there, but correct me if I'm wrong.

-Andi.