Re: [ProgSoc] your account bqqrzbop

On Sat, 9 Jul 2005 01:52 pm, admin@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx wrote:
> I would like to inform you about important information regarding your
> email address. This email address will be expiring.
> Please read attachment for details.

I don't know if I should be laughing or crying, but I've already received an
email from at least one user telling me they're having problems opening the
ZIP file they were just sent.  For the record, this is DEFINITELY spam, and
if you have done so much as anything with the attachment on a windows system,
I would strongly suggest carrying out some sort of virus scan immediately.

I would also like to make it clear:
- The admin team do not send emails about *your* account to the Progsoc
mailing list, to which there is some 300 subscribers.
- The admin team do not end their mail subject lines in "bqqrzbop".
- The admin team sign their emails with their name
- Even if they didn't, we don't have anyone whose title is "Administrator",
it's "Computer Systems Officer"
- We never send anyone attachments with our messages in them, we strongly
prefer the use of text-only email at all times

As for why these last couple of emails have got through, it looks like somehow
spamassassin's bayesian filtering got turned back on after it was deactivated
long ago, and just as happened last time it got turned on, it has managed to
become horribly mistrained, to the point it gives a "definitely not spam"
rating even to the most blatant spam.  Also, I'm not quite sure why clamAV
didn't pick this up.  In any case, we'll be checking.
--
David Edney
President