Re: [ProgSoc] Better than an iPod shuffle?

On Wed, 13 Jul 2005 16:19 pm, Joseph Madani wrote:
 ] Sorry, what do you mean by native midi? Directly off my Amiga? I don't
 ] know....a friend has an Amiga 4000 we might put to use to solve that one.

 Someone else can explain this far better than I.  Midi isn't the
 same kind of thing as vorbis ogg, mpeg-2 layer 3, aac, etc.

 My Amiga 2500 .. is currently (probably) full of mice poo (and
 dead mice).  It won't help, either.  But I do like to mention the
 fact that I have one, from time to time.

 ] Is it so uncool to want to be popular? I'm pushing 30 dagnammitt....one
 ] last hurrah! Mind you, I suppose I should have got a player before
 ] everyone else did if I wanted that.

 36.

 Being popular is a state of mind.  Usually someone else's.  Other
 people (in general) are easily influenced.  QED you're aiming too
 low.  The best player I've found so far is, disturbingly, my Palm
 Pilot - insofar as it takes SD, plays any format I want, and has
 functions that almost forgive its bulk, lack of swappable batteries,
 and lack of FM receiver.  Really, its biggest claim to fame is that
 I already have it.  Yes .. yes, I know.

 ] Yes, you're right. I should've used the spelling and grammar check.

 Should've?

 You should'nt've needed to use a grammar or spelling checker in order
 to know when you're abusing the language.

 This isn't aimed at you (solely) so don't get (too) paranoid.

 The rules of grammar should appeal to geeks way more than it
 appears to.  They're explicit and esoteric at the same time.  This
 is usually sufficient to engender interest.

 ] In fact, I think the only time it might have even come close to being a
 ] correct use of an apostrophe is if the radios were the plural possesor of

 Ah, yes, but I suspect possessor is the word you seek.

 Possessive its is another thing that seems to confuse many people.

 {sigh}

 ] You're probably right. I've held an ipod and I think they're the closest
 ] thing to a mp3 player brick I've ever seen though. Reminds me of a long
 ] time ago in a suburb far, far away when my neighbour's real estate agent
 ] dad got one of the first mobile phones I'd ever seen.

 Ooooh .. I remember the days.  I had my first mobile in '92 or '93.

 It wasn't stylish.

 Anyway, yes, a friend has one of the early iPods and it's certainly
 a nice UI.  Mighty heavy, ugly as sin, really, on reflection, but a
 very pleasant interface given the size of the music collection that
 it's dealing with.

 ] Thanks for the tips, I intend to get one of these things soon,but out of
 ] curiosity, did anyone

 Keep talking.  I'm yet to come up with a definitive answer on
 this one, and I'm curious on other people's take with this stuff.

 Not sure how Nathan's going with his selection - the JNC probably
 didn't warrant a purchase (I've read some pretty uninspiring user
 reviews of their hardware) or indeed the earlier Rio Karma (?)
 consideration.  I'm amazed that in the past couple of years there
 hasn't been any major jump in the capabilities of the kit in this
 space.  Solid state gear still seems to be stuck in the 256/512
 arena (for reasons that aren't clear).

 Jedd.

 PS.  I'm excused from any typographical errors in this missive.
 $3.50 drinks at the CBD on Wednesdays, etc.  Very very bad.