Re: [ProgSoc] changing shells

On Thu, 2005-10-06 at 09:47 +1000, Robert Howard wrote:
> On Thu, Oct 06, 2005 at 09:26:14AM +1000, Andrew Halliday wrote:
> > On 10/6/05, Anand Kumria <wildfire@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> > >
> > > Back when I were a lad, you used to change your shell by running 'chsh'
> > > but this does not appaear to work on Progsoc. Is there another
> > > mechanism to do it?
> > >
> > > Thanks,
> > > Anand
> > >

> > I don't know if this is what you mean, but if I run 'csh' or 'tcsh' or 'sh'
> > or 'bash' my shell changes. (Either that or it creates the specified shell
> > within the context of the default shell I'm running -in which case this
> > wouldn't change your existing shell context.)
> >
> > Cheers,
> > Andi.
> >

> Andi: The latter.
>
> It looks like the default chsh can't modify the LDAP info, and can't find your user in /etc/passwd, so it bombs out.
> Perhaps we might need to look into something like this: http://www.thkukuk.de/pam/pwdutils/
> (Unless I'm missing something, and we just have PAM configured incorrectly.)

The default for pam_ldap is to do an anonymous bind to the LDAP server,
which means that utilities like chsh and passwd won't be able to
actually update entries.

If you set binddn and bindpw in /etc/pam_ldap.conf to the admin DN, then
they'll magically start working again.

Otherwise, I recall wzdd mentioning that cpu
( http://cpu.sourceforge.net/ ) was installed on progsoc machines.

--
Pete