Re: [ProgSoc] International Solaris 10 University Challenge

On Sat, 2005-10-29 at 23:37 +1000, jedd wrote:
> On Fri, 28 Oct 2005 11:22 am, Myles Byrne wrote:
>  ] Just wanted to chime in here and say I agree with Jedd on this one.
>
>  My respect for you just went through the roof.  ;)

Fuck you :p

>  ] They make good hardware now. They always have, even if it used to be a
>  ] bit overpriced. They're strategy should be to make great software to
>
>  I think their hardware advantage is slipping (actually I think it
>  slipped a long time ago) but they haven't come to terms with it yet.
>
>  5 years ago I was working with a mob running a 90GB Oracle
>  database on some medium sized Sun hardware.  We cranked up the
>  same version of Oracle on some commodity x86 hardware and were
>  getting significantly better performance.  List price of the Sun kit
>  was an order of magnitude more than the 4-way Dell.  Maintenance
>  was the next big killer.  The claim of unbreakable hardware becomes
>  irrelevant when you can go and buy two of everything and still come
>  out at a fifth the price.  As failover software improves in the
>  GNU/Linux world, I can't see the Suns and IBMs being able to convince
>  anyone of the benefits of their medium-sized and big-priced iron.
>
>  (Yes, IO is more important on Big Pootas than processing grunt,
>  and their Big Hardware still does stuff that it's hard to do with
>  commodity kit, but that's not going to be the case for much longer.
>  The gap's been narrowing for a while, and it'd be hubris to believe
>  that it won't close soon.)

They're making a comeback with the hardware.

http://au.sun.com/catalog/?n-state=http://catalog.sun.com/partpricing.xml?site%3dAUSTRALIAAU%26catalogue%3dFC%26segment%3dFC_R%26item%3dFC_SC_CAT%26group%3d2010%26fid%3d5118%26id%3d13158~~~G!015B1EABC2A7!JiIRVvSREpgpGw16sJsx~standard~ws-nocache

[sidenote: If the url looks that bad, I'd hate to be the developer
maintaining the code for the site. Probably written in the
java/hibernate/spring/struts/jakarta/etc. stack from hell]

My point: $992 for a 1U machine with an opteron chip is a really good
deal. Good hardware, reasonable (nay cheap) price, this is what Sun
should be about.

--
(\ /)
(O.o)