Re: [ProgSoc] International Solaris 10 University Challenge

On Mon, 2005-10-31 at 11:51 +1100, Nathan de Vries wrote:
> On Mon, 31 Oct 2005, Myles Byrne wrote:
> > [sidenote: If the url looks that bad, I'd hate to be the developer
> > maintaining the code for the site. Probably written in the
> > java/hibernate/spring/struts/jakarta/etc. stack from hell]
>
> Isn't that what the kids call "clean URLs" these days? I want to buy Sun,
> their URLs are long and fancy.

I assume this is a joke.

> Jokes aside, that URL didn't work for me, so here's a better one that
> actually works: http://tinyurl.com/d9asl

A yes, tinyurl. Isn't there some bookmarklet to makes automatically?

> > My point: $992 for a 1U machine with an opteron chip is a really good
> > deal. Good hardware, reasonable (nay cheap) price, this is what Sun
> > should be about.
>
> Agreed. The price is *fairly* respectable. What you have to remember is
> that it's a barebones system (motherboard / RAM / CPU) squeezed into a 1RU
> case for $1K. And don't expect wonderful IO performance from the two SATA
> drives you'll be purchasing for it.

$1K for barebones 1RU is good nomatter which way you slice it. Shuttle
barebones + AMD64 cpu will set you back about $700 and it's not thin,
rack mountable and shiny ... well maybe shiny.

> > (\ /)
> > (O.o)
> > (> <)
>

> What's the deal with this bunny? I see it on alot of forums with something
> like "This is fluffy, put him in your sig and help him achieve world
> domination". Is this humour? Do I laugh now? Or is there something you're
> not telling us? *cough*soft toy fetish*cough*

I thought that was you at the OzFurries meetup on Saturday night! I
wasn't going to say anything ...

Seriously though, I just like the bunny. I didn't add the rest of the
text because I don't care.

--
(\ /)
(O.o)