Re: [ProgSoc] What's going on with the UTS network?

On 11/14/05, Matthew Beauregard <marauder@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
* Andrew Halliday <andrew.halliday@xxxxxxxxx> [2005-11-14 11:47]:
> So yes, at the stage of my first email I didn't know what I was talking about,
> but given you weren't writing anything, maybe you didn't either?

Probably that's the whole point.  When I don't know what I'm talking
about, I DON'T TALK.

Stop taking me out of context. I was working off assumptions based on previous experience - I said as much. When I said I didn't know what I was talking about, I meant I didn't know what had happened at that time, and that I was making a suggestion that the problems observed by myself and others could have been due to high internal usage. This _hypothesis_ was based on my previous experience with such performance problems in the past. I believe I explained all this in my previous email.

I didn't say I was right, I was putting forth an idea in an attempt to explain the symptoms whilst I was finding out what the problem was. The correct answer then filtered down via the list which a) informed everyone, b) demonstrated that I was wrong and c) upon your response demonstrated that you never say anything that doesn't involve stating the bleeding obvious.

Right or wrong, I was making a valid contribution to the discussion as to what I thought the problem was. That's how one troubleshoots looking for the cause of a problem, you think of hypothetical scenarios, think about what's happened in the past, and conduct research to find out what the problem was.

Take your attitude and shove it, and everyone else have a nice day.

-Andi.