[ProgSoc] [jobsoc] Linux Sysadmin, Sw Eng & other IT/Ops jobs @ Google Sydney and elsewhere

(if you're willing/able to relocate, we also hire in many other locations,
contact me separately for that)

Just 2 words about me, I'm a long time linux enthousiast (10Y+) and linux
sysadmin/engineer at Google, although I was still at the now defunct VA Linux
when I attended linux.conf.au 2001 (and I can't wait for 2007 to come back to
Sydney :) )
Anyway, the reason I'm Emailing here is that I just learned that we'll be
growing our Google Australia office significantly in April, so I thought I'd
pass on the word if you are interested.

We looking for all kinds of good technical operations/IT folks:
# Information Security Engineer
# IT Field Technician
# Network Security Engineer
# Software Engineer
# Systems Security Engineer, Junior/Intermediate
# Unix System Administrator

as well as all good software engineers that we can get our hands on :)
http://www.google.com.au/intl/en/jobs/openings.html

Google uses linux almost exclusively as a unix platform, which is why I
joined the company several years ago, and work there as a sysadmin and
engineer.

What level are we really looking for?
In my personal experience, we hire resourceful people (i.e. you know how to
look up what you don't know, and something that you don't know or understand
bothers you enough that you learn about it by yourself so that you know
about it next time), and we ultimately look at your level of experience
compared to how many years you've been working in the field.
I have coworkers fresh out of school who just spent a lot of time learning
unix/linux on their spare time and did well on the interview.

For software engineers, we are happy to hire software engineers fresh out of
college if you are good at what you're doing :), and of course we are happy
to hire seasonned engineers too.

If you drop me a note with what you're interested in, I'll give you an up to
date version of what we need, and recommend which job position(s) you should
apply for.
If you are applying for sysadmin, we already have 5 Australians in my
sysadmin group, 3 of whom I met at LCA. My manager is Australian too, so you
won't be too lost :)

Some description of the jobs can be found here:
http://www.google.com.au/intl/en/jobs/index.html
although it's a bit generic, I can give you more details and answer questions

You can Email me at oznz-jobs@xxxxxxxxxx

Cheers,
Marc
Home page: http://marc.merlins.org/   |   Finger marc_f@xxxxxxxxxxx for PGP key