[ProgSoc] Bandwidth quotas

I just wanted to vent my general disgust at USYD web usage quotas.

They have a weekly 42mb quota for external site access for each student.

It's disgusting.

Access is then charged between 3.3c-4.6c per mb thereafter depending on access type (domestic/international/research)

I miss all those free gb's of nice fast bandwidth at UTS which went unchecked!

USYD uses a Cisco VPN system for logging on to wireless over there though, and it includes Linux client support too. I use it on my old PowerBook and it's not too bad (I just have to remember to set my browser to not load images to save on bandwidth)

Oh, and you can't SSH out of the Uni either, not even if I pay the monthly $3.30 fee for UNIX shell access.

The proxies aren't transparent, so to get any IM working is a big deal.

Oh yeah, did I mention that all students get a 2 (two) mb network disk drive quota and 2(two) mb email inbox quota? With ~35000 students they could almost fit all that onto a single 146gb scsi disk! How pathetically cheap can you get!

For more obscene cost info go here: http://itassist.usyd.edu.au/student/services/internet/costs.shtml
</rant>

In other news, I received my on campus oxygen usage levy today.

-Andi.

(The Uni does kind of make up for it in other ways, but it's just wrong nonetheless, and their timetabling system blows too)