[ProgSoc] Which app is hogging disk / net? (was Re: [ADMIN] disk full)

On Fri, 31 Mar 2006, jedd wrote:

Hi CK,

Since no one else bothered to respond, and I assume that
it was a genuine pair of questions.

I'm forwarding this to the list, coz I can't believe there aren't better answers :) (nothing personal, mind you).

] (a) what's the unix util to find that sort of stuff out?

(ie, which app is filling your disk at 100kB per second)

I'd probably do something like :

$ cd /home
$ du -scm * | sort -n > now

 .. wait some time

$ du -scm * | sort -n > later
$ diff now later
(or a graphical diff would be easier - kdiff3 is my current fave)

Workable, but disappointing isn't it :)

In the current context (100kB/sec growth) this would quickly
identify problem places.  Simply tail'ing the now or later
file would also give you a good idea on where to start.

Yeah, though I'd have to write a bash script with this stuff, I think.

Normally when I admin my own system, I'm more likely to seek-and-destroy whichever process is drowning the CPU. WHICH IS EASY TO FIND! Why can't 'top' show me this?

Also in the current context - you'd need access to orgo in order
to do this stuff .. alas .. few people have such access.  The

Oh damn, great. Nah it's more important to know this for my local system anyway. Thankyou :)

automounter thing makes it nastier / harder / less elegant when
drilling into these style of problems.

There are tools out there that'll monitor this stuff for you,
and you can put thresholds on what physical or ratio difference
you wish to be notified about.  Nagios probably does it, f.e.

Any other ideas? I guess nagios is it.

] (b)  ditto, to find out what process is soaking my IPv4 link?

netstat might help, or things like ntop would probably be easier

Nope, otherwise I wouldn't be asking.

In fact I knew with 99% certainty that my SoftwareUpdate process was soaking my link the other day, and a grep through netstat's output revealed neither the name of the process, nor its process number. Grumble.

to use / interpret.  ntop will identify ports, and this may give
you ambiguous data .. that's where netstat wins as far as mapping
back to specific processes, of course.

Hmmm I'm going to search this one out. ntop doesn't look like a standard app; it's not on ProgSoc either.

But there is a function called 'inet_ntop'.  Hrmmm.

CK.