Re: [ProgSoc] Which app is hogging disk / net? (was Re: [ADMIN] disk full)

On Sat, Apr 01, 2006 at 12:37:10AM +1100, jedd wrote:

>  ] Workable, but disappointing isn't it  :)
>
>  Particularly so.  In this case, there wasn't a lot of information to
>  go on, though.  AFAIK (though I may have misunderstood) mail and
>  home directories are on the same file system.  On a system of this
>  size, with multiple users (or more accurately, users that aren't me)
>  I'd look for mail as the first culprit.

Sorry for not responding earlier. Unfortunately, this is going to be a really quick response because my eyes are growing bleary at an alarming rate.

The problem was (correct me if I muff this up, Anand) the mail server trying to deliver 60,000 bounce notifications from gmail.com. I didn't catch this on my sweep because I was being stupid and only checking /home (and not /var or the mail server logs).

>  ] Hmmm I'm going to search this one out.  ntop doesn't look like a standard
>  ] app;  it's not on ProgSoc either.
>
>  It's a Debian package, so it *could* be.  :)   It's a pretty neat
>  tool, however from memory it used to induce a bit of load on my old
>  server when I used to run it at home (but that was a pretty crufty
>  old machine, that was routing an awful lot of traffic).  Plus it may
>  reveal some 'sensitive' data about your network if you give public
>  visibility to the web pages (it runs its own web server at :3000).

I'll have a look at getting it installed (if it's not a risk).

- Rob