[ProgSoc] Preferred server linux distros

In light of my recent crap of an install with Fedora and the subsequent issues with data recovery, I'm looking for a new linux distribution to run a basic web/mail/ftp server on. I'm probably going to go with Debian, but has anyone got any suggestions/comments on their favourite distro? Something with lots of support would be good - as I'm a bit of a linux n00b, but I know the basics and some advanced stuff.

Specs of the main machine will probably be:
1Ghz PIII - maybe 1.3Ghz
512MB RAM
20Gb HDD

Cheers,

James Kirsop

1st Year Bach. Sci. Information Technology
Email: James.W.Kirsop@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Web: http://jameskirsop.mine.nu/
Mobile: 0407 063858