Re: [ProgSoc] SSH keys problem

Howdi,

Hey

 I've got a couple of hosts (not mine) that I attach to that are
 filling up my ~/.ssh/known_hosts with crud.  Specifically, lines
 that look like:

 |1|zqlFwMjOZoO6Mf.......ROLkk4= ssh-rsa AAAAB3NzaC1yc2EAAAA...

 One effect of this curious feature is to constantly alarm my ssh
 that a possible MITM attack is happening RIGHT NOW!

 Which it isn't.

 Anyhoo, server is running some rinky SSH server that sits on
 top of Win2k3 server.  It might even be cygwin (if that includes
 an SSH server?).

Cygwin has an ssh server.

Is this the result of some bizarre 'encrypt our hostname' option?

You could try just deleting all of th entries and see if it recurs. Or ssh should even say which line in known_hosts is the offending one - you could just delete that one. I think recent ssh programs encode the host name or IP before putting it in this file.