Re: [ProgSoc] NULL values in primary keys in MySQL

On 19/06/2006, at 9:41 AM, John Elliot wrote:

jedd wrote:
Now, the thing I'm designing is not a big secret, but I think that
by attempting to keep it abstracted I've been limiting the quality of
advice I could be getting. Note that I was looking for a project that
was big enough to be interesting, small enough to be doable, and
potentially useful (if it worked) -- but primarily it was picked to
be a good way to learn db/php programming. With that in mind ...

I hadn't really kept this in mind.

My advice is that you keep the database schema exactly as-is. Re- implement the VB app in PHP maintaining feature parity. It doesn't matter that in your opinion the VB app couldn't be less useless. The application exists and is (as I understand it) already in use.

This is good advice. If the app in *in use* then it is already 10x more valuable than your better-designed-but-still-in-development version. Also don't use php. Use rails. It doesn't really matter what db you use, it's best not to put too much application logic into those anyway.

I know I said I'd post some ruby stuff on thursay, unfortunately I've spent the last few days out of town attending to an emergency. Anyway I'm back, and Jedd may have provided just the right platform to pimp the benefits of ruby/rails for this type of app.

Post the current schema (does access have some schema dump command) and I'll post the ruby code to generate that schema in any db system you like (well most of them). I'll throw some basic model code as well so you can start playing around with the db rows as clever, validating objects.

--

(\ /)
(O.o)

-- Myles