Re: [ProgSoc] Linux Disk Image Management Sofware

On Thursday 22 June 2006 7:00 pm, John Elliot wrote:
 ] Does DHCP replace BootP then..?

 Pretty much.  DHCP used to be more expensive to setup,
 but I doubt that could be argued anymore.  I believe that
 DHCP provides a superset of / is entirely backwards compatible
 for BootP clients.

 http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dynamic_Host_Configuration_Protocol

 ] Right. I understand (and had already understood) that VMWare (and QEMU
 ] and Virtual PC) are all things that it is definitely in my medium-term
 ] interests to know about.

 You can get excited about Xen next, though its virtualisation model
 is somewhat different.   http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Xen

 ] As you point out, the free VMWare Server (as I already knew) has a TTL
 ] and is in beta. Each of these bothers me.

 It shouldn't.  It's in VMware.com's best interests to provide a stable
 product, and respond rapidly to any bug reports.  They're in their
 third beta release -- and remember, it's not a *real* beta insofar as
 this product has existed for quite some time, just not with this
 particular appellation.   My experience bears this out, too -- it's
 stable .. once you get the sucker actually installed and running.

 I think you could download and install it and get comfortable with
 it over the next few hours.

 The other benefit from a VMware solution is that the guest machines
 can be run within a VMware Server instance that's running on a
 Win32 box as equally well as one running on a GNU/Linux box, ie
 any decision you make about underlying host OS at this point, won't
 tie you to that platform in the future.  To spell it out even further,
 you could download the Win32 version of the product now, install
 the VM's in an environment that you're comfortable with, and then
 later rebuild the three servers to Debian, re-install VMware Server,
 and the guests would simply Just Work exactly as they did on the
 MS platform.

 Oh, and if you do VMware, then you don't need to worry about partimage
 as xcopy, drag-n-drop, or cp command will be the method you'll use to
 replicate / backup / archive your various development 'boxes'.

 hugs,
 Jedd.