Re: [ProgSoc] NULL values in primary keys in MySQL

On Monday 19 June 2006 1:55 pm, Myles Byrne wrote:
 ] This is good advice. If the app in *in use* then it is already 10x
 ] more valuable than your better-designed-but-still-in-development

 Oh, look, I get that.  I've been ducking in and out of this particular
 project for the thick end of a year, as opportunity and inclination
 sync up with the various phases of the moon and what-not (I hope
 we all planted our onions during the solstic yesterday!).

 ] Also don't use php. Use rails. It doesn't really matter what
 ] db you use, it's best not to put too much application logic into
 ] those anyway.

 MySQL has the best integration for RoR, doesn't it?  I've recently
 started contemplating shifting from MySQL to Postgres, but I'm not
 sure if there's any ethical imperative to do so, let alone a technical
 one.  Most hosting sites seem to offer both these days.

 And I know* PHP.  I don't know Ruby, let alone Rails -- and as much
 as I think it'd be an interesting technical challenge to start this
 thing from scratch again, and go through all the fiddling-around with
 getting the HTML output Just Right all over again .. the idea lacks
 significant appeal.

 ] I'm back, and Jedd may have provided just the right platform to pimp
 ] the benefits of ruby/rails for this type of app.

 <taps foot>

 Jedd.

 * For small values of Know.