[ProgSoc] Renaming NIS users manually on debian

Does anyone know all the places you need to change data in order to rename an NIS user account so that samba file sharing and email will work with the new user name and that the new user will be in the same group as the old user?
I tried usermod on the NIS master but it doesn't work, it's still looking in /etc/passwd instead of in /var/yp/ or wherever the NIS files are.

I have a bunch of new user accounts I need to create and a bunch of old accounts to get rid of, so I figure it's just easier to rename them as adduser doesn't work with NIS for me either.

Cheers,

Michael.