[ProgSoc] Workshop aftermath, machine access, new machine, and downtime for incubus.

Hello,

It is with pleasure that I report the moderate success of the admin
workshop held on Saturday, July 1st. Some of the more productive
outcomes of the workshop include the resurrection of Trogdor (now
running a very unconfigured Solaris 10), LDAP being fixed on eidolon
and geryon, a new machine being set up, plus encountering (and
updating) an archaic home directory mounting setup on geryon that
seemed to pre-date both Dave Edney's and my own time in ProgSoc.

(If I missed out anything majorly important, feel free to publicly
humiliate me.)

As said above, eidolon and geryon are now user accessible, and have
pine and mutt installed.

We now welcome another machine into our gaggle of servers.
Introducing Bob the Alpha XL266 - a virtual powerhouse of a machine
with 92MB of RAM and 4.8GBs of harddisk space, it has enough grunt
to rival a pocket calculator.

In all seriousness, though, it'll be a useful box to have knocking
around for mail and shell access; no services will be run on this
machine. User logins haven't been set up yet pending the incubus
debacle (see below), but they'll be set up as soon as I get the more
critical items out of the way.

Unfortunately, in the same breath I have to report that incubus has been
taken down due to another web exploit, the same kind as that which
caused succubus to be taken off the air. I'm in the room tonight
reinstalling the both of them; I'll let you know how I go. In the mean
time, switch over to geryon, or (preferably) eidolon. I'll try and get
incubus back up as soon as I can.

I'll be taking incubus down for the evening in half an hour or so. Sorry
for the short notice, but we need to get it and succubus sorted out ASAP.

Thanks for your patience,

--
Rob Howard
Computer Systems Officer