Re: [ProgSoc] Easy / dumb (take your pick) dyn-HTML question

 Bryn, John,

 Let's, for the sake of argument, assume that I know zero about
 javascript .. other than what I'm in the process of picking up from
 a few sites right now.

 Switching divs in and out .. sounds deceptively easy.  Does
 that necessitate a page reload, or there are functions to generate
 a refresh of a labelled (?) <div>...</div> section?

 'Just write a general function' sounds deceptively easy.

 John wrote:
 ] What is the nature of the content to which the separate section of the

 Nah, it's all static stuff - either text (preferred) or a transparent
 png (ugly).  So yeah, it can all be generated and ready to go, and
 there'll be maybe 4 or 5 sets of data to flip in and out.

 I'm sure it's very straightforward, and I'm sure I've seen examples
 of this out there before -- but they're hard things to do searches
 for, it seems.

 ] When you say 'separate section of the page', are you referring to a

 From this evening's reading, iframe may be the go, though the W3C
 recommends object tags in preference .. depending on current support
 for that tag.  They then say that iframe might be preferable .. given
 lack of object support.  Talk about covering your bets.

 I've not used iframes or objects before, and come from a long history
 of doing truly ugly things with tables (this was before divs existed,
 honestly) in order to get

 ] JavaScript is love and light. What you really hate is the disparate and
 ] conflicting DOM implementations available in the present landscape.

 No .. I really do hate JavaScript.

 ] The path of least resistance is to get rid of the image, put a link on
 ] the page describing the 'separate content', and then when the user
 ] clicks on that link their browser will issue a HTTP GET request for said
 ] alternate content, and it will subsequently render in their browser. I
 ] highly recommend this approach. :P

 Yeah .. there's plenty of ways I can do this clunkily, but it's one
 of those cases where style over substance - or rather, style with
 substance - is desired.  Something flash-(npi)-looking, basically.

 I'm willing to delve into the secrets of the dark side (see above
 reference to JavaScript) in order to facilitate this -- but obviously,
 in keeping with the fundamental mantra of IT, I'd rather just
 borrow someone else's code that already does exactly what I want.

 Jedd.