Re: [ProgSoc] Easy / dumb (take your pick) dyn-HTML question

Nathan de Vries wrote:
That's what the plan was.

I sort of put that together for myself in the end, and realised I was actually objecting to something that wasn't being said.

The reason I had presumed that the client was the target platform is that Myles went out of his way to show that this was a syntactically valid CSS extension (and the conversation stemmed from a discussion about 'would be nice' CSS features).

Obviously if you're doing code generation then the initial format doesn't matter at all. You wouldn't care that the input format was syntactically CSS compliant.

I hack out little transformation services all the time. Lots of them static (i.e. done at build time). Usually using some XML input format (often the XML input itself is generated, say from a database schema) and an XSLT that takes it to some text-based output format (C#, SQL, CSS, HTML, JavaScript, etc.). That's just because I like using XSLT to specify transforms.

Often, when I actually have to manually enter the input data, I just use a JSON (or similar) javascript format, and then spit that as XML.

Some times I even just stoop to 'find and replace'. :)