Re: [ProgSoc] Programming! Code!

On Thu, 2006-10-19 at 14:05 +1000, John Elliot wrote:

> (I always end up with that "the program *is* the formal statement of the
> requirements" feeling too. Lousy strange loops.)

This is certainly an approach.

In my final year of CompSci we had a Software Development Case Study
(the syllabus drafters had "Engineering" in mind, but for some reason
they changed it to "Development" :-)) in which we constructed a formal
spec for a syntax-directed editor in Miranda. While we were verifying
the spec, I had an insight about the consequences of having fully
specified what each user operation did to the entire state of the
system. One hour, and a page of test-harness code, later, I was actually
running the spec itself. This was something of an epiphany for me.

- Raz