Re: [ProgSoc] Recycling 10Base2

On Thu, 16 Nov 2006, Roland Turner wrote:

Heh, it appears that there is in fact such a thing as 100base2 although,
yes, NICs are hard to find.

Really? Do you have a source? The only mention of "100Base2" I found was a couple of pages saying it has never existed. This would be ideal.

Jedd -- thankyou for your suggestions, but the overriding priority is avoiding any recabling. The RG58 is there (by "the bang", do you mean "da bomb, da shit" or something not good?) and it's not getting replaced.

In fact I may yet push 10Base only over it, since it's still a large improvement over my worst-case wifi performance, but I'm investigating how to increase RG58's throughput. (801.11a, 802.11n and/or wifi channel squatting are my other alternatives, and would cost around $500 really).

Montey thankyou for the Blackbox link -- but I believe this is an active component and will therefore be limited to 10Mbps -- as it attempts to enforce the 10Base2 protocol. Of course I agree that a passive component has the issues of build quality and is a shot in the dark. I was hoping that the twisted pair *might* be the weakest link in the chain, and if it's already achieving 100Mbps, then great.

Here: http://www.pcadapter.com/PC_networking_info/adapter_network_rj45_to_bnc/rjbnc.htm

This is a passive device that seems to be for taking LAN signals over RJ45 and dumping them on anything with a BNC connector, like RG58.

So yeah, my inspiration is those UTP <-> RS232 baluns, so if people can throw serial connections over what is usually ethernet cable, maybe I can do this.

CK.